Nach iLife 11 - das Aus für iDVD und wie steht es mit iWeb?

fjordschritt

Aktives Mitglied
Gestern wurde ja die iLife Reihe weitergeführt. iLife 11 ist nun aktuell und es stellt sich die Frage nach dem Event, wie es mit iWeb und iDVD weitergeht.

Einen interessanten Artikel habe ich hier gefunden.

iDVD

Sorry, iDVD fans, but the app is as good as dead. The last time iDVD got a major upgrade was back in 2006 with iLife '06. A year later, iLife '08 brought minor changes to iDVD, restoring some themes from the first two versions of the software. Since then, two versions of iLife have come and gone, but iDVD has not changed one bit.

Back in 2003 or 2004 (I don't remember which year exactly), my group at Apple was in a meeting with people from the iLife team. One of the project managers threw out a question to us. He asked why iDVD was so essential to the iLife suite, which at the time also included iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie. This wasn't just a question he was asking us either -- it was one of the interview questions for programmers that were hired to work on the iLife suite. The answer: iDVD was essential because it wrapped a user's digital life up into one tidy package. Music, photos, and movies could be edited and burned onto a shiny disc for distribution to friends and family. As an interesting side note, the programming manager told us that no one on the iLife team ever got the question right on their first try.

Jump forward to 2010, and DVDs are no longer essential for easy-to-create personal distribution. With über fast Internet and sites like Facebook, YouTube, and MobileMe, we can package our music, video, and photos together in a movie and upload it with the click of a button. We don't need physical media to share our digital lives. DVDs are also becoming less important for installing software and games thanks to Steam, downloadable packages from the Internet, and now the Mac App Store. Steve Jobs knew that when he introduced the first MacBook Air in 2008, and it's no coincidence that was the last year anything new was added to iDVD.

Though the lack of an update to iDVD in iLife '11 wasn't shocking, I was surprised when there was no announcement of a new app, which in my mind is always called "iLP." An app like "iLP" would let users create disc-less DVDs via the iTunes LP format and share them over the Internet. Imagine an app that lets users create HTML5 iLPs, viewable to your friends and family through their Web browser.

Don't get me wrong, iDVD is useful for small businesses and professionals who like to put together portfolios to mail to clients, but even that is changing. Why have physical media when you can just host something on a website and make it available for download?

Which brings me to...

iWeb

It was surprising to me that Apple didn't update iWeb. True, the app got a major overhaul with iLife '09, but it's quickly fallen behind the times. Given that Apple is pushing HTML5, you'd think they would update their Web design app to fully take advantage of the new standard.

My old iWeb-built portfolio site never showed up right on my iPhone. I'm surprised that Apple hasn't taken the steps to make iWeb into an app that can put out beautiful HTML5 sites that work in any modern browser while concurrently creating iPhone-optimized versions of those sites. (To the guys at RapidWeaver: this is your time to shine.) Personal websites may not have much allure anymore -- we seem to share everything via Facebook and Twitter now -- but this is where a combined iDVD/iLP/iWeb would come in handy. Creating your own websites to host HTML5 online "DVDs" that are viewable in any browser would fill a need that social networking sites still can't.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I really don't think that iWeb is dead yet. (I liked it so much because I couldn't code a website to save my life.) I think it's going to make a comeback in the next iLife suite, and it will be rebuilt from the ground up in order to take advantage of modern browsers and however many hundreds of millions of iOS devices exist by then. iDVD on the other hand? ... It was nice knowing you.

Es ist jetzt schon das zweite Mal, dass an diesen beiden Produkten nichts gemacht wurde. Bei iDVD evtl verständlich, aber iWeb? In der heutigen zeit wo jeder sich einen Blog, eine Internetseite usw bastelt? Für mich nicht nachvollziehbar.

Wie seht Ihr das? Was wird in Zukunft bleiben, was wird gestrichen werden aus dem iLife Paket? Man munkelte ja schon mal, dass ein neues App zu der iLife Familie dazustoßen könnte. Was würdet Ihr für realistisch halten?

Eine andere Frage, benutzt Ihr iWeb und/oder iDVD noch regelmäßig oder ist das alles sekundär?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
was hat das alles mit iDisk zu tun?

Na, ich denke da HTML Editoren generell tot sind. Gerade wo viele Seiten nur noch auf CMS setzen. Blogs sind ja das beste Beispiel, alles Datenbankbasiert im Web. Also wer braucht denn noch so umständliche Editoren wie iWeb?

ah, okay. jetzt verstehe ich das erst. ;)

iweb braucht doch nicht mehr viel, oder?! ist doch eine schöne software. problem ist halt, dass es nicht mehr viele leute gibt, die selbst ne webseite erstellen und dann pflegen. wird doch meist dann schon vorgefertigtes genutzt oder halt an spezialisten vergeben.

idvd brauche ich selten. diashows und filme kommen meist ja nicht mehr über den dvd-player an den fernseher. ist halt ne entwicklung. -> appletv reicht. ;)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Bei iDVD bin ich Deiner Meinung, habe es in den Vorgängerversionen nie benutzt.

Bei iWeb ist es etwas anderes. Wie im Artikel beschrieben, wäre es doch super, wenn man das neue HTML5 mit reinpacken könnte, gleich auch von seinem Blog oder seiner Seite eine iPhone optimierte Seite erstellen kann. Wäre mal eine gute Sache und in der heutigen Zeit, mit den ganzen mobilen Geräten, woran Apple nicht ganz unschuldig ist, auch extra Seiten optimieren...

Ich könnte mir vorstellen, dass iWeb früher oder später eine reine Webanwendung wird.
Die paar Templates und Grafiken könnte man serverseitig hosten und man klickt sich die Webseite dort zusammen. Elemente verschieben etc. ginge wohl ebenfalls.
Dann ist man auch nicht auf einen bestimmten Rechner angewiesen, wenn man an sein Projekt ran will.
iDVD? Das wird noch eine Weile mitlaufen, bis Apple sagt: "ladt es auf Youtube, Facebook oder MobileMe, reicht doch!"

iDVD? Das wird noch eine Weile mitlaufen, bis Apple sagt: "ladt es auf Youtube, Facebook oder MobileMe, reicht doch!"

Gleiches gilt doch im Grunde auch für iWeb. :noplan: Was vor ein paar Jahren noch zur ultimativen Selbstdarstellung gehörte (persönliche Homepage mit "meine Hobbies, mein Dackel, mein Auto") läuft heute komplett über Facebook & Co. Da basteln die meisten nicht mehr selbst.

Ich könnte mir vorstellen, dass iWeb früher oder später eine reine Webanwendung wird....

Gab's schon, wird grad nach ca. 6 Jahren von Apple eingestellt und hieß bei dotmac 'Homepage', ein Baukasten mit 'luschtichen' templates zum Inhalte reinkippen ...-

;)

Zurück
Oben Unten