Where to buy more RAM?

My iMac (Intel/512MB) is very slow. It takes ages to wake up the computer (from the sleep mode). It takes ages to switch applications. I am playing beachball all the time. I need more RAM (1GB).

Where to buy more RAM? Any good websites?

I LIVE IN LUXEMBOURG SO GERMANY WOULD BE AN OBVIOUS CHOICE TO BUY MORE RAM.

OR EVEN BETTER, THE US, BUT SHIPPING, TAXES AND CUSTOM DUTIES WOULD MAKE IT ECONOMICALLY UNATTRACTIVE.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
DSP respectable?

Thks a lot for yr response, very helpful.

The most interesting offer is from DSP (1GB for EUR 105). Is it a respectable manufacturer?

States?...Er lebt in Luxemburg, hat er doch oben geschrieben;)

5480 schrieb:
The most interesting offer is from DSP (1GB for EUR 105). Is it a respectable manufacturer?
]
Yes, in this forum you will find many positive experiences.

5480 schrieb:
Thks a lot for yr response, very helpful.

DSP is highly recommended and has a very good reputation. I also have RAM from these guys in my iMac, 2 GB and it is working since 01-2005 without any problems.

I have the following computer:

Mac OS X (10.4.7) 20" iMac/2GHz Intel Core Duo/512 MB DDR2 SDRAM (purchased in April 2006)

The RAM should meet all of these criteria:

PC2-5300
unbuffered
nonparity
200-pin
667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Is this the right RAM:

Should be the right one. It's located in the section for Intel iMac.

If you have any problems, you should be able, to send back the RAM within 2 weeks.

marc2704 schrieb:
States?...Er lebt in Luxemburg, hat er doch oben geschrieben;)
Ja, aber erst nachdem er die erste Antwort hatte... (siehe edit time) :)

wieso schreibt der eigentlich auf englisch, wenn er in deutschland wohnt? Oo

akkarin schrieb:
wieso schreibt der eigentlich auf englisch, wenn er in deutschland wohnt? Oo

1. Wohnt der Fredstarter in Luxemburg

2. Falls der Fredstarter z.B. französisch und englisch kann, macht es mehr Sinn, in englisch zu schreiben, da in D weiter verbreitet

3. Soll es auch in D Leute geben, die besser Englisch als Deutsch können.

iBook_G4 schrieb:
3. Soll es auch in D Leute geben, die besser Englisch als Deutsch können.
zu denen zähl ich mich auch mal dazu :D

wollts halt nur wissen :(

RAM does not work

I bought RAM from DSP-Memory, which is incompatible w/ my iMac.

I contacted Apple who said that the problem is commonly known as Unix nervous breakdown (Kernel Panic), due to incompatible RAM. The system appears to be über-sensitive for RAMs from non-Apple vendors. My iMac still works fine with the old RAM.

DSP-Memory provides a guarantee of 14 days, which has already expired.

Any views what I could do?

Strange. Normally the memory, that is sold by DSP should work in a Mac. I had 3 times memory from DSP and never a problem.

The 14 days guarantee should work, if you want do send the memory back for any reason. But if the memory is not working, you should have at least 6 month. But here it's also: as soon as possible ;)

Which RAM do you have exactly and which iMac? What happens, if you use only one piece of RAM? You can check, if it's the problem of a single RAM module, if you use only one and change the modules after a time of testing.

1 X 512 and 1 X 1024

My iMac had 512MB when I bought it. Then I purchased additional 1024MB from DSP-Memory. However, does not work, I always get the Kernel Panic error message, which is due to iMac's über-sensitivity to 3rd party hardware (such as RAM).

So I had 1 X 512 and 1 X 1024.

I re-installed the RAMs; does not work.

I swapped the RAMs other way around; does not work.

I tried 1024 only; does not work.

It does not work as long as the new RAM is inside.

Where did you get this 6 months guarantee if the RAM does not work? If so, I should be OK.

Does DSP-Memory have a reputation of being a consumer-friendly, reliable vendor?

come on 5480... who are you ?
are you some ...
no fun
incal

Which iMac and which RAM?

You had 1x 512MB as you bought the iMac and if you install the same module, then you have also kernel panics. Right? So there also should be a problem with the iMac and/or the already installed memory. Are you sure, the memory is installed correct? In my iMac Core2Duo, there is some force needed, to put the memory modules completely into the socket.

I have 20" iMac/2GHz Intel Core Duo/512 MB DDR2 SDRAM.

Original RAM: 512MB
Additional RAM: 1024MB (subsequently bought from DSP-Memory)

As you know, there are 2 slots available for RAM. One is already taken by the original 512MB. The other one is available for additional RAM.

I have Kernel Panics if I install both 512MB and 1024MB. I also have Kernel Panics if I install 1024MB only. I always get Kernel Panics is if 1024MB inside the computer. No Kernel Panics if I use the original (512MB) only.

My iMac is up and running well as long as I do not use the RAM (1024MB) from DSP-Memory. So I do not think this is an iMac-related problem. This is a DSP-problem.

Yes, some gentle force is needed but I do not think this is a installation probelm because I am able to install 512MB properly. But not 1024MB.

There is always a remote problem that 1024MB is damaged.

Zurück
Oben Unten