HDD-BootEncryption - Stonewood

SilentCry

SilentCry

Mitglied
Ich führe hier einen Thread weiter, um mich auf ein spezifisches Thema zu konzentrieren: Hardwareencryption mit einem Stonewood Drive.
Ursprungsthread: https://www.macuser.de/threads/hacker-szenario-extrem.208700/
Zusammenfassung:
Es geht darum, ein vollständig verschlüsseltes MacOSX zu fahren. Also auch das Bootvolume. Deswegen fallen Lösungen wie PGP Whole Disk leider aus.

Bei gibt es solch eine Lösung hardwareseitig als Laufwerk, die Frage ist nun, ob das mit MacBooks arbeitet (Stichwort EFI).

Dazu habe ich folgende Mail an Stonewood (mit Angabe meines Firmenmailaccounts, das hilft, die Firma ist ... multinational ;) ) geschrieben, mit folgendem Inhalt:

I would like to know whether your encrypted drives work in APPLE MacBooks (MacBook Pro respectivly).
The reason I inquiry is, that MacBooks are now INTEL BASED but with EFI (which replaces the old BIOS, known in the PC/Intel-World). Thus I am eager to know whether your drive will perform in Apples new MacBook (pro).

This question arose from a discussion about Mac Security in one of Europe's largest Mac User groups (macusers.de). Thus you can consider my question interesting for a few hundred Mac Users.

Und diese Antwort noch am selben Tag (heute) erhalten:

Dear ***,

Thank you for your interest expressed in FlagStone.

I am not entirely sure if we have actually tested FlagStone with an Apple Mac but if you leave it with me a little longer I will certainly go away and find out for you.

Kind regards
Wendy Hyde
Business Development Manager
FlagStone International

Ich wollte nur vermerken: Ich habe den Thread nicht vergessen, ich habe nur immer noch keine verwertbare Antwort von Stonewood :-(

Edit 29.12.2006 - Ich schrieb heute an Stonewood:

[...] since I haven't heard anything back from you, I would like to repeat my inquiry:
Are there any news about the operability of your product in Intel-based Apple Books?
My suggestion is that your research/development-Department fetches a cheap macbook and inserts one of your Drives. You could at least tell me then "yes, it works" or "no it doesn't work". I do not expect a specific plan when and how you will support Intel-Macs, in case your drive doesn't work in the Intel Macs due to the EFI instead of BIOS anyway, but I would really appreciate an answer concerning whether or not you tried it and what is the outcome.
Thanks, and a happy new year for you all! [...]

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Update - Auch an Seagate

Nachdem Stonewood sich in steinernes Schweigen hüllt, frage ich mal bei Seagate nach:

Question Type : Compatibility
As read in heise.de (http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/80274) about Momentus-Drives with implemented HW-Encryption I would like to know whether or not your drives are supported and working in INTEL-based APPLE MacBook (MacBook Pro respectivly).
Since Apple chooses to use EFI instead of BIOS, I am unsure if your drives would work with Apple Books and EFI (OSX should be no problem, when the drive runs, I guess the operating system has nothing to deal with the hardware-encryption).

Your competitor Stonewood was unable to provide me an answer to that question up to now regarding _their_ HW-crypted drives.

Looking forward to your answer,

Antwort von Seagate:
Hello ***, We have not tested these drives in a Intel Mac yet.
Brian W.; Disc Presales
Meine Reply:
Hello Brian,

is there any plan to do? I am truly astonished since on the Apple-Side you wouldn't have competition through software-choices. On PCs, Vista will bring BitLocker, using USB-Sticks or TPM-Chips to pre-boot-encrypt harddrives. In addition, on the PC/Win-World there are several third party products like SecurStar's DCPP or PGP-Disk.

On the Mac you would be almost "alone" to provide such a solution.

Again, I must express my irritation that one hour work and a Macbook are too much investment to even check if it basically works.

If there is any news, I'd be eager to hear. So far, thanks for the answer,

Und die letzte Antwort:
Hello,

Be assured that compatibility testing takes longer than an hour.

Seagate provides the drives to Mac for qualification. Seagate is not part
of the their testing. You may trying redirecting your question to Mac to
see if they have any further information regarding the implementation of
these drives.

Regards,

Dan M.
Disc Presales

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Ich finde das alles ja megainteressant. Die Hersteller der Drives haben nichteinmal genug Interesse, einfach eines Ihrer Laufwerke in so einen Mac reinschrauben. Sie wollen es "Mac" (ich nehme an, die meinen "Apple") überlassen.

Sehr interessant, genau danach suche ich auch! Bitte informiere mich wenn es Neuigkeiten gibt.

Gruß
BM

Zurück
Oben Unten